How I use social media
- Google alerts: I set up automatic Google searches for any topic I want to track.
- Google reader: I use this to automatically follow any website I’m interested in with an RSS feed. Check out the items I’ve shared. (I haven’t really gotten into Google+ yet.)
- Twitter & Facebook: I generally use Twitter for people I don’t know yet, Facebook for people I know well.
- Tumblr: I have a personal photo tumblr and an aggregated news tumblr for MCOM 407. The MCOM 407 tumblr aggregates news on the topic of urban renaissance, and occasionally I publish these items to Twitter.
- YouTube: I have a playlist of YouTube videos I occasionally use in class.
Ways journalists use social media
1. Build your network, build your brand
In class practice: following pages and lists
Follow our class list
2. Listen to your readers, research topics
In class practice: searching
3. Tweet your breaking news and story links
In class practice: using hashtags like #mcom257
4. Give shout outs to the people whose information you share
In class practice: @replies and retweets
5. Crowd source
Tip #1: Avoid these errors
Tip #2: Read the manuals
Tip #3 When news breaks, Storify
More hands-on practice
Sharing links & using bit.ly
Post at least three tweets sharing a headline and a link relevant to this class on Twitter this weekend using the #mcom257 hashtag.